Abstract：Scientists find microplastics in fresh Antarctic snow for the first time
Scientists have found microplastics in fresh Antarctic snow for the first time, highlighting the extent of global plastic pollution as even the most remote regions experience contamination.
Most of the particles were from a type of plastic called polyethylene terephthalate, which is found in clothing and water bottles. The study found an average of 29 particles per liter of melted snow, higher than marine concentrations previously reported from the surrounding Ross Sea and in Antarctic sea ice.
Microplastics are plastic pieces that are smaller than a grain of rice. They are harmful to environmental health and can lead to limited biological and reproductive functions in organisms. Microplastics also can potentially exacerbate climate change by accelerating snow and ice melt.
Researchers suggested that the microplastics found in the snow samples could have traveled thousands of kilometers through the air. But they said it’s just as likely that the presence of humans in Antarctica has established a microplastic footprint.
“It’s incredibly sad, but finding microplastics in fresh Antarctic snow highlights the extent of plastic pollution into even the most remote regions of the world,” Aves said in a statement.
- 1On February 12th, Lomon billions and Guangxi Detian Chemical announced the price adjustment notice of titanium dioxide!
- 2Dawn Titanium,Haifengxin chemical and other enterprises increase the titanium dioxide price by 500 yuan / ton!
- 3Prospect analysis of global thermal insulation coatings
- 4Wanhua Chemical: Raise the listing price of aggregated MDI in China
- 5Lanzhou Institute of Chemicals Tower-type photothermal power generation high-temperature solar absorption coating research has made important progress
- 6Formlabs introduces a soft, highly elastic 3D printed elastomeric resin
- 7What is the difference between shell powder and lime powder?
- 8Titanium tetrachloride supply is tight
- 9Clariant will sell pigment business to streamline business portfolio
- 10Overview of the development of global plastics additives industry and analysis of competitive landscape